Update #5

Monday, June 20, 2011

Hello friends and family!

I know it has been 2 weeks since I last wrote, but securing a computer and internet to send a lengthy email can be a challenge. Its amazing that so many different things can happen in two weeks, and it will be hard to recap, but I will do my best to hit the big stuff.

The most important update that you need to be aware of is the JWC (Joint Winter Conference) coming up this weekend. If you’ve been watching the YouTube links in the past emails or on our blog, then you’ve most likely watched the promotion clip that we show each week at 3D. As it stands, we have 5 girls committed from Benjemijn (meaning we have their deposits). There are a few more prospects that we’re praying will attend, but the biggest barrier that we’ve come across is that parents are refusing to allow them to come. As our team has been studying Colossians these last 5 weeks, some of us have been clinging to verse 1:16-17, claiming that Christ’s power is over any earthly power, including parents. I’m praying that Christ would work through these barriers to allow the girls to see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ. Our team would also appreciate if you could be praying that God would be preparing each person’s ears to hear and hearts to receive the only story that is capable to provide everlasting hope and redemption.

Looking back over the last 5 weeks on campus, it is quite interesting to see the way the Lord has worked. Though I haven’t taken enough time to see clearly, it is evident that the Lord is sovereign in leading us to girls that He wants us to invest in. I never would have thought that these were these girls that I would spend all my time with, but I am so thankful that they are.

Though constantly pouring out is draining, I have learned a valuable lesson. Often times in the past week or so, I have been loving these girls and the Lord with all my mind, but not necessarily all my heart. Thanks to a sweet letter from a friend, I realized that I had strayed from the command “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. (Deuteronomy 6:5)” I had switched from love to thought and from His strength to my own. The result was that come Friday, I had little left to give to these girls. I was not clearly or effectively communicating what Christ had truly done on the cross, I was just reading the words off a page. I’m thankful for the Bible’s promises: that he works through our weaknesses, that his grace is sufficient, and that his word does not return void.

Prayer requests:

-That I would fall in love with Christ, and not just try to gain knowledge of him.

-That I would clearly and effectively communicate the Gospel.

-That our labor would not be in vain.

That God would tie up all the loose ends as girls go home for winter holiday, and that he would continue to work in them as the head home.

-The God’s hand would be on all aspects of JWC-the talks, small group discussions, the varsity students attending, etc.

For now, that is all. I will most likely have to update you when I am home on July 1st. After JWC this weekend, we will be doing mercy ministry in a township. Therefore, there will be no internet access (I’m assuming). Please please please be praying for these girls and JWC. I cannot wait to proclaim the goodness of the Lord when I am back home.

Sincerely,

Karen

May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine upon us, that your ways may be known on earth, your salvation among all the nations.

Psalm 67:1-2

1 comments:

Caitlin Cornwell said...

Karen! i love your updates! the SLP is praying for y'all!! can't wait to see you in a few weeks!
love,
caitlin

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive