I Love SCC!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011
One part of CCP that I have really enjoyed is being involved in the local church. Those older and wiser than me have always emphasized doing so, so attending a local church in Joburg didn't surprise me much. We've been going to Sophiatown Community Church (SCC) during our stay, and I just love it! It's where everyone involved with CO at UJ Kingsway goes, and it's just a five minute walk from our house! It's so charming walking to church on Sunday morning. That's something I can't do in Athens.

I remember our first morning there, we were greeted by the pastor and one of the women on staff. Since then it's been fun to see her and get to know her a little better each Sunday. They serve tea and coffee and biscuits (we'd call them cookies) after church, so we've met several other interesting people there who've been so welcoming and willing to teach us a little about the culture here in South Africa. It's a pretty small church, so it's been easy to meet most people. We've met people in different life stages as well, so we have an amazing opportunity to get to know other South Africans as well, and not just students. Everyone has been so hospitable.

Most of you already know I'm studying music education, so I'm sure this next point won't take you by surprise: I love the worship music there! We sing some worship songs that anyone in America would be familiar with, like songs by Chris Tomlin or Hillsong. That's actually one thing about S. Africa that has surprised me. But here's my favorite part: we sing songs in African languages! Well, the rest of the congregation sings, and I just listen. It's the most beautiful choir I've ever heard, and I'm standing in the middle of it with their praise washing around the room. Everyone harmonizes, and there's just a spirit to their singing that's not like anything I've heard before. And it's just really enriching to hear something different. The first Sunday we were there, they sang one and it gave me goosebumps! It was so cool to hear people praising God in other languages.

The pastor there has been going through a series on parables. For myself, parables are difficult to understand, so I really appreciate how clearly he communicates God's grace and that Jesus is the only way to the Father. Remembering that I don't have to manufacture my salvation and righteousness is definitely restful and perfect for the Sabbath.

We've had a couple opportunities to get involved. I helped set up and helped with coffee and tea one week, another girl helped lead worship one week. I was thankful to get a chance to serve with the members there. I could see myself thriving spiritually here in Sophiatown, but on the other hand, I still miss my church families at home. FBC Powder Springs and Christ Community, I miss you, and I can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

1 comments:

Cat said...

This just makes me smile...I can imagine how much joy God is bringing you through these experiences! :D Can't wait to hear about everything in person! :)

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive