First Week On Campus

Friday, May 20, 2011
Hey guys!!

So much has happened already and we've only been in South Africa for a week! We visited the Aparteid Museum, watched some res soccer matches (and got to play some ourselves!), and had our first week on campus at the University of Johannesburg. I've discovered my passion for soccer--the thought crossed my mind of becoming a professional soccer player and staying in South Africa to continue my career, but that thought has since disappeared. (Pictures of our adventures to come... :) ) We also went to a church called Sophiatown Community Church. It was incredible to worship with South Africans--hearing them sing worship songs in one of their native languages painted such a sweet picture of God being the God of all the nations.

Lindsay and I are in a dorm, or res, called Amper Daar. Our first day on campus was Monday. It's such a blessing to be in this res--all of the girls have been so warm and welcoming. I feel so close to them already, even though it's only been a week. The leaders in the res are Precious, Ikho, Tebogo, and Pretty. They have really made us feel welcome and introduced us to a lot of the girls in the res. It seems like there is a lot of spiritual interest in Amper Daar. Within the past few days, we have been exposed to a lot of beliefs in the prosperity gospel and witchcraft. This really tugs at my heart. I want the girls to see the Lord as He truly is and to love the Blessor, not just His blessings. I had no idea how exposed to Christianity people in this country would be, or how open they would be about their beliefs. A lot of our girls grew up in church but there are not many churches that preach straight truth from what i've seen, and it's not uncommon to have a church that teaches a mixture of native African traditions, such as ancestrial worship, and Christianity, or a church that teaches its followers that if they believe in Christ they will receive a lot of blessings and prosper.



Please be praying the following prayer requests for the team and I:


-Boldness in sharing our faith
-Protection for the students against false teachers and false doctrine (Matthew 7:15-20)
-Continued unity in our team and that we would be rooted in Christ
-Perseverance and energy throughout the week
-That we would learn more about Jesus through these people and this trip


"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain the resurrection from the dead."


-Philippians 3:7-11


With Love,

Lauren

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Archive